Friday 29 October 2010

Notice to all crew: YC112.10.30

<Dissonance Vector Internal ComNet Message>
<NOTICE TO ALL CREW RE: Orientation>
<Author: Pilot V_Hakatain>
<12:30 hours, YC112.10.30>
<Priority: B - Strongly recommended access>

First of all, welcome.

For most of you, this will probably be the only communication you ever receive from me. With this message, I would like to dispel the notion that my lack of communication is out of aloof callousness or disregard for you as people.

I forbid myself from becoming too closely acquainted with my crews for the same reasons that crew are forbidden from fraternization under the ship's standing orders. If I were to come to care particularly about one of you above and beyond the others, it might affect my judgement. 

This is important. This ship is ultimately intended for front line combat duty. For every last person aboard this ship to have the best and fairest chance of surviving the carnage of pod pilot warfare, I have to be unbiased and even-handed in how I handle the deployment of damage control, how I open and close emergency forcefields, in the timing of when I launch the escape pods and in all the other myriad ways that will ensure that as many crew as possible survive on the day this ship dies.

If I were to pause at the wrong second because somebody I had become too attached to had not yet reached safety, it might jeopardize the lives of ALL crew. It is best for everyone's sakes, therefore, that you and I remain detached.

I would like to thank you, however. Without you, this ship could not fly. You may never hear from me again after this message, but I want you to know that I feel honoured that you are here, and that I value you. You have my word that I will do everything in my power to bring you back to port safely after every sortie.

Best of luck to all of you, and may whatever you believe in give you guidance and strength.

-Hakatain, YVG. 
Pilot, Dissonance Vector.

<Message Ends>

No comments:

Post a Comment