Monday 22 November 2010

Journal: 112.11.22

What I didn't realise when I commissioned the Dissonance Vector was just how much training was involved in making a Chimera work as intended. It's an old lesson, of course. There are a lot of skills related to flying a ship of any class, and it's irresponsible and wrong to neglect them. The prerequisites to just undock and fly it are just a tiny portion of the total training.

But I forgot, because for... oh, a couple of years now I've HAD all that extra training. Any new ship I cared to move into, all the peripherals were there. I could just get the basic skills and have the ship work at near peak efficiency pretty much the moment I unwrapped it and inserted the batteries.

Not so, capital ships. That jump drive is a heck of a thing. I can spin one up and shunt my way across the stars, but right now my range is exactly as per the basic capabilities of the ship. I could more than double the jump range, with training, but to do that I need to maximise my familiarity with basic operations first.

then there's the fighters. The pilots are good, but they need solid telemetry to do their jobs properly. Right now, all they're getting is the basics. And don't get me started on Triage modules. They're more complicated to operate than command battlecruisers are!

Each time I look at the Vector I find some other facet of its operation will require me to conclude a training course, or start a whole new expensive one. All of which is good - not so long ago, I was griping about not knowing what skill to train next. Now, I don't have that problem.

Save. end.

No comments:

Post a Comment